FootballNews

Peru is Withdrawn as Host for FIFA 2023 U17 WC

Peru is Withdrawn as Host for FIFA 2023 U17 WC

3620Views 1Like

Peru has been stripped of its right to host the FIFA U-17 World Cup 2023. This is the third time in four editions that South America would host the tournament, and Peru was set to be the next host. However, FIFA stated that Peru failed to meet the required infrastructure standards to host the tournament

Despite extensive discussions with the Peruvian Football Federation, FIFA concluded that it was not possible to give the country more time to invest and complete the necessary work before the tournament’s scheduled dates.

The loss of hosting rights is a significant blow to Peruvian football, which has been striving to improve its international standing.

Details on Withdrawal

The Under-17 World Cup is a critical tournament for young footballers from around the world, providing them with a platform to showcase their skills and potentially attract the attention of top clubs.

Nigeria’s national Under-17 team, the Golden Eaglets, will be bidding to secure a place in this year’s competition. The Golden Eaglets are the record champions of the FIFA U17 World Cup, having won the tournament five times.

They are currently preparing for the 2023 CAF U17 Africa Cup of Nations, which kicks off in Algeria later this month. The top four nations in the 12-team competition will qualify for the World Championship.

The tournament, scheduled from November 10 to December 2, will still take place as planned.

“FIFA would like to express its thanks to the FPF for their efforts, and remains open to organizing a competition in Peru in the future,” FIFA said in a statement.

The Peruvian Football Federation (FPF) acknowledged FIFA’s decision but also provided further explanation. “The decision is based on the delays in the start of the execution of the sports infrastructure works … in addition to the recent weather events in Peru that have caused damage and left many families affected,” the FPF said in a statement.


Advertisement

Related News

Peru’s northern region was hit by heavy rain and Cyclone Yaku last month, resulting in mudslides and the deaths of at least six people.
Both the Under-20 and U-17 World Cups were initially scheduled to take place in 2021 but were postponed to 2023 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Indonesia was stripped of its hosting rights for the Under-20 World Cup in March, leading to a search for a new host country.

These two incidents have undoubtedly caused concern among football fans worldwide, particularly with the World Cup approaching in 2022.

ASEAN, a regional intergovernmental organization comprising ten member states in Southeast Asia, had taken its first step in a joint bid to host the World Cup in 2034. With this latest news, fans will be worried about the success of this bid and the future of football tournaments worldwide.

FIFA’s search for new host countries for these tournaments is ongoing. It is hoped that Peru will use this setback as an opportunity to learn and improve its infrastructure and that a new host will be designated soon to ensure the success of the tournament.


Advertisement

Latest News

– Advertisement –


– Advertisement –


– Advertisement –


– Advertisement –


– Advertisement –


– Advertisement –


Related Articles

Check Also
Close
Back to top button